Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Yesterday.


I put the ring on you gave me, I imagined it was from someone else. Then I dreamt it was from someone else, and when I woke up I felt comforted.
 I danced in the kitchen for a while. I danced in the kitchen by myself. I let my socks slip on the tile as I waltzed alone. I pretended to twirl around a man with your name, but the man wasn't you.
 I re read a love letter. A love letter full of lies. I pretended they were real words, real words that were meant for me, from a man that wasn't you.
 I ran my fingers on the wall. I imagined my fingers were on a beautiful girls smooth face. I pretended that beautiful girls face was my own.
 I watched a young woman smile. I watched her laugh with a boy. I watched and tilted my head with curiosity at what that must feel like. How it must feel to be real in someones eyes.  How it would feel to be real in my own. She seemed to posses, a lightness. I felt as though she might float into the sky like a balloon while she laughed. My squinted eyes darted back and forth, concentrated, while analyzing her movements I became aware of how heavy my heart was. How it weighed me to the earth. I told myself I had to be this heavy. Who else would hold all the balloons.
 I stared up at the sky. I imagined the sky was filled with colorful balloons and that I was the paper weight for the world. I watched each balloon disappear.
 I held my breath. I imagined my lungs filling up with the air you breath. I was full.
  I had sex with a nameless man. I pretended it was your hand that reached to fist my hair.. and I escaped when he touched me. I disappeared when he touched me, I evaporated in his arms and I woke up alone. I woke up with this ring on my finger. I woke up with a dream in my mind and shadow in my soul.

 I think Ill keep your ring on a little longer.

1 comment: